Sunday, April 19, 2009

May Newsletter

Here is my little blurb that will be included in some way in the May SuBAMUH newsletter that is being sent out. I wish I had been able to be more involved in the creation and layout of the newsletter, but since I came in so close to the publishing deadline most of it was all put together. Hopefully I can give them some suggestions and input for upcoming editions:

I have lived in Athens for three years now, and never once ventured very far out of town. Sure, I’ve taken trips to Stroud’s Run and walked through downtown Nelsonville, but never have I really been outside of my tiny bubble that is Ohio University. You can imagine, then, what the first drive out to SuBAMUH was like for me. Twisty windy roads, dirt and gravel, road signs hidden by high grass and trees – this is not exactly Court Street. Not only am I new to this side of Athens, I am new to the entire concept of SuBAMUH. I’m a feminist, yes, earning a women’s and gender studies certificate to accompany my journalism degree, but coming into my internship at SuBAMUH I know next to nothing about intentional living, womyn’s communities or the wimmin’s land movement. I didn’t even realize there were that many ways to spell “women!”

That is why I am so excited and feel so blessed to be spending the next few weeks learning and helping out at SuBAMUH. I am suburban born but have a heart that grew up camping and spending as much time outside as possible. When I had to choose a place to intern through my class this quarter, SuBAMUH seemed like the perfect fit for the skills I have and for my desire to learn. I hope to take in as much as I can from Jan, Crissa and Michelle about their experiences and beliefs while helping them out in any way I can. Whether it is getting down and dirty to help maintain the land or helping design fliers and promoting SuBAMUH online, I can not wait to see what the next few weeks hold. I look forward to rifling through some of SuBAMUH’s history and hope to be able to have a somewhat complete history written out before the end of the quarter in June. Most importantly, I hope and look forward to growing as a feminist and as a person and to expanding my horizon…stepping outside my box.

No comments:

Post a Comment