Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sunday Gardening

Today I came out to SuBAMUH because I was supposed to work with Michelle doing some work on the water collection system they are building at the campground (using the gutters I helped fix on my very first day of work out here!) Unfortunately she was sick and couldn't make it out, but there is always something to do out there! Instead of working with Michelle, I helped Crissa move some of her furniture up into her new room in the farmhouse. SuBAMUH might be getting a new resident in Amazon house, so Crissa is moving to clear out space. I was excited and happy to learn that they might get a new resident, because it means that SuBAMUH will continue on. It means there are still women out there interested in communal living, in living outside the grid and away from the patriarchy. I am crossing my fingers that it all works
out for them!

After hauling her bed and a heavy dresser up to the second floor, I
went out to help with some gardening. Crissa had a big patch of dirt that needed hoed and weeded, so I got on some rubber boots, rolled up my sleeves and started turning the dirt over. It was hot and sunny, something I am definitely not used to at SuBAMUH. My good friend Kat had come along for the ride and to take pictures of me at work...Lovely, I know.
We had a garden almost my entire childhood, and my parents still have a patch where they grow tomatoes, peppers and zucchini. I remember days in the summer out weeding our huge garden, or the
laborious task of dragging the hose all the way from our house to the garden which was in a field behind the woods behind our house. Nothing compared to the amount of time and work that these women put into their gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment